Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Value of painting by Georges Delfose 1898 Maison Defermier

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

I need a bit more information.

Please tell me the size of your painting, not including the frame. Do not remove from the frame.

Then, I need to know the medium - oils, watercolors, etc.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

An original painting by the Canadian artist Georges Delfosse (1869 - 1939) <note not Delfose> can carry an auction estimate of $400 - $1200 on today's auction depending on the size and mastery of the image.

Feel free to add photos here at anytime, there is not an additional charge to send pictures here.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Doris here.

I dislike having to intrude but feel I must here.

I want you to have a complete, accurate answer you can work with.

Georges Marie Delfosse dating 1869-1939 was a Canadian artist that is now known for historical landscapes and portraits.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, size is the major factor to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method of assesment, I was able to determine an auction value

of $8.85 per square inch for paintings by Delfosse.

To determine the auction value of your painting, all you need to do is measure the width and height of your painting not including the frame. Do not remove from the frame.

Then multiply the width tomes the height times $8.85 to calculate the true auction value.

In other words :

width x height x $8.85 = auction value. Make sure you use measures in inches.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

Some like where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,