Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have a Civil War case shot shell from 1861 that was shot

Customer Question

I have a Civil War case shot shell from 1861 that was shot at Union Troops from the 25th Massachusetts Regiment on March 14, 1862. This was unexploded and has an oblong shape and is colored yellow. The only other thing it can be is an 1800s Shrapnel spherical case shot shell called an anti personnel weapon
Ed A
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

On today's market, these generally average about $25 - $30 at auction. A few years ago, these were garnering up to $175 - $250, however the market on Civil War case shot shells has flattened a bit currently.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not agree with the statement above
This may actually be pre civil war maybe 1803 -1812 an English in origin
So kindly return my $22 and call it a day
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

It is definitely a Civil War 1860's shell and not an early 19th century piece.

I will send your request to admin on your behalf, and I recommend you contact them from your end as well.

Please note that experts here are not employees of, experts are verified users who do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form. For such queries, use this link for assistance:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I spoke to a civil war collector and he says projectiles do not become oblong after fired
So it's not a cannonball and it's too crude for 1860s civil war projectiles
So you are quite sure it's a case shot
Can you produce a picture that solidifies your claim ? And you didn't specify a Union or Confederate made
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

I have sent in your request for refund.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Again the reply was too vague
I don't think your source is correct and you didnt specify Union or confederate made