Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a Frederic Remmington Bronze. I believe it's a Bronco

Customer Question

I have a Frederic Remmington Bronze. I believe it's a Bronco Buster. Very Heavy(100+lbs) and tall 40". How do I verify it to be authentic and valuable. I was told by the giver that it was worth more than my house.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where can I look for identifying marks as to the founders mark, date made or place of origin. What would you appraise the item at? The pack of cigarettes is for reference size
Expert:  Robert S. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Richard,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your magnificent Remington piece.

Can you check the base for a number and any text you might see, such as "Roman Bronze Works" etc. If it's there it will be impressed on the side of the base (not underneath).

Also, do you have any documentation for it? Letters? A bill of sale? Name(s) of previous ownership? All this helps greatly with establishing provenance and credibility to help boost its value.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
RobertI looked around the entire base and can't see any marks along the side.
Any other ideas?RegardsRichard
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still here

Sorry Richard, I had to leave the office for a couple of hours.

I'm back now and can give your question my full and prompt attention.

There's a very slight possibility you'll find a number on the underside, but my hunch is that because there's no "Roman Bronze Works" foundry mark on the side that what you have is an unauthorized re-casting. This still has value, but only a fraction of that of castings done in the artist's lifetime (or just after), that are all clearly marked, in limited, and numbered editions.

Let me hear back about the underside, and I'll give you a full appraisal and a value.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why did you not say "I'm leaving, I have to go, anything else or I have to leave this conversation?" . You just left without saying a word until 4 or 5 hours later. As if I could wait that long?? I even asked you are you still here?
Too late, I have to ask for a refund. I the customer am not happy nor satisfied.