Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have an antique couch and 2 chairs that I have no idea

Customer Question

I have an antique couch and 2 chairs that I have no idea about. I don't know what kind of wood it is. it looks like it's all hand carved in almost a rokoko style, with cherubs. I believe the upholstery might be original also. The cane is in great shape. Gifted to us as a wedding present from my mother and father-in-law. So curious.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello

What are you wanting to know about this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Any type of value or idea or maker or brand so I may do further research. It also has the original wooden wheels on the bottom

Hello

If this is not marked there is no way to know who made this. I can give you a style and value but I cannot tell you who made it or where it was made. There were thousands of furniture factories, and if the piece is not marked there is no way to know who made it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand. Whatever you could tell me I would appreciate. I'm so very curious about it.

Hello
.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!
.
The Furniture is a Mix of the Victorian Era, Colonial Revival and the Renaissance Revival. Marrying two styles was very popular in the Victorian Era, when styles were always a little over the top. The Victorian Era, was when the more you had the more you flaunted it. The Set looks ( from the picture ) to date from the late 1800's to early 1900's. The Set has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $3***-**-****.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.

.
If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.
Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.
.
It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site.

.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. After being verified we are allowed to come to the site to answer customer's questions
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. Clicking one of the stars or smiley faces is very much appreciated. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.

It was a pleasure working for you,
:) ( smiles )
.
Glenda

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help with this question. I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda