Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a dining set of my mothers that she purchased from a

Customer Question

Hi pearl,
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have a dining set of my mothers that she purchased from a friend many years ago. I am thinking it might be a Phyfe original. I cannot find any identifying marks other than a "D" on the bottom of each chair. Can you help?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: The t
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: The chairs and the hutches have the harp looking design on them.
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/8DhkvSos/image.jpeg
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/bDqlAdCC/image.jpeg
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/61njEY9x/image.jpeg
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
.
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you for the pictures. What makes you think this is a Duncan Phyfe Original set? Did someone tell you this? Here is a look at original Duncan Phyfe furniture. http://www.artemisantiques.com/Catalog.aspx?cat_id=23&category=Duncan+Phyfe+Furniture

Then later the style became what is more commonly seen on the market today, the standard Mahogany, with the Brass feet, brass pulls ets. All very plain and simple.

Glenda

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

This is an early 20th century Sheraton and Phyfe Revival style dining suite and not an original furniture piece from the late 18th to early 19th century. On today's market, your set can sell for as high as $800 - $1200.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

.

This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!

.

The 20th century Sheraton and Phyfe Revival style dining suite has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $2***-**-****.00, I have actually seen this set sell for much more then this. Prices depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.

.

Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.

.

You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.

.

If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.

.

Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.

.

It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site.

.

As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. After being verified we are allowed to come to the site to answer customer's questions

.

The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. Clicking one of the stars or smiley faces is very much appreciated. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

.

It was a pleasure working for you,

:) ( smiles )

.

Glenda

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help with this questions. I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this, in order to receive credit for my work.
.

Thank you so much!
Glenda