Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

Landscape Artist R MARSHALL late 19th century. I have

Customer Question

Landscape Artist R MARSHALL late 19th century. I have painting of "On the Braan" signed R Marshall on left lower position. Oil on canvas - given to my Grandmother by Charrington family circa 1890.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

Please tell me the size of your painting, not including the frame. Do not remove from the frame.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dimensions 16 ins x 21 ins = view of cascading river Braan (as annotated on rear of painting ) with high hill in background
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you want photo ?

A description as a landscape painting is enough.

I should be back within 30 minutes.

Kind regards,

I had already done some research on your artist and his paintings.

Your artist is Roberti Angelo Kittermaster Marshall (1849-1923).

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method of assessment, I was able to determine an auction value of $450 for your 16 x 21" oil landscape painting by Marshall.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

Some like where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know that this is not Kittermaster Marshall from earlier research - it is R MARSHALL - a different artist from Scotland

Your artist was born in 1900. He could not have done your painting.

I am going to release your question (opt-out) so that if another professional knows the answer, he/she can help you.
I will not be able to respond to your questions once I opt-out.
I hope you find the answer to your question.
Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your response - I will provide more detail asap and think about the date I first received it from my grandmother.
More news soon
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.