rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have a an old Universal Stove Cribben and Sexton. : I have

Customer Question

I have a an old Universal Stove Cribben and Sexton.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have the serial number
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Is this real?
JA: I'm the Antiques Appraiser's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: I have photos can I send
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the stove and any marks, labels or writing (serial number tag).

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Serial Number is *****
I have uploaded 10 photos
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am about to upload some full frontal shots of the stove.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Frontal Shots uploaded

This is a 1922-23 Cribben and Sexton Universal Stove.

The value of this stove (repair noted) is $375 to $400.00 retail in this condition.

Do click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Serial Numbers below photos
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it possible to get a more formal quote or is this it?

My apologies, most people just briefly want the age and what they can sell for.

The Stove was manufactured by the Cribben & Sexton Co Chicago IL. in 1922 to 1923 with serial number 4112-5TRMX. The stove is called the Universal, this one is aqua and white enamel, warming tray and broiler. Repair to oven door. The stove in this condition has a current value of $400.00 retail and an insurance/replacement value of $900.00 if you were to add it to your home policy.

Here is a Historical Time line on the company that made the stove:

1867James Sexton creates stove foundry with partner ***** *****, factory is located at*****

1871Chicago Fire destroys the facility and Sexton Partnership is shut down due to little insurance on the company.
Before the fire reached the Sexton foundry, Sexton's men tossed the foundry molds into the Chicago River for protection. He later retrieved the molds and was able to continue production.

1872Sexton meets Henry Cribben in Chicago.

1873Cribben Sexton and organizes the Cribben and Sexton Co.

1874The business moves to 75-77 Lake Street.

1880The business continues to grow and they purchase the property on the west and east sides of their factory. Their expanded facility contains the foundry,
warehouse and office buildings. They manufacture a complete line of steel and cast iron parlor stoves, cooking stoves and heating stoves of every description
for both wood and coal. This facility manufactured over 40,000 units a year. All the stoves are produced under the name Universal Stoves and Ranges.

1885Another fire causes severe damage, but the company quickly recovers from loss and looks for another location for factory.

1889President ***** *****on appoints Sexton Postmaster of Chicago and he served for five years, holding office during the Columbian Exposition.

1898Construction of 700 N. Sacramento building begins. Sexton sells his interest in the business, due to failing health, to Henry and his son William Cribben.

1899Sexton dies in Washington D.C.1900The business employs over 500 workmen.

1901The company moves into its new building at 700 N. Sacramento and continues to produce stoves.
1902 The elementary school at 160 W. Wendell St. in Chicago was renamed for James A. Sexton.

1913 Cribben and Sexton Co. begin producing the first gas-powered stoves in the country at 700 N. Sacramento.
Late1930s-1946 The stove operations shut down and the factory supports the war effort by producing cannons and motor shells.

Henry Cribben and James Andrew Sexton founded the Cribben and Sexton Co. in 1873. The company was one of the top stove producers in the United States.
The firm eventually set up at 700 N. Sacramento in Chicago in 1901, which has since been renovated to house premier loft office space.