Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Glenda. What is this Porcelain item? A funnel shape with one

Customer Question

Hi Glenda. What is this Porcelain item? A funnel shape with one hole in the very top and four holes around the top sides. The funnel smooths out into a boat shape with a hole in the center underneath and a "pipe" towards one edge - also with a hole in it. At first I thought it might be a pie "steamer" but I have my doubts. Have you any idea what it is, an age if possible and a value?
Thanks a bundle
Jannie
https://picasaweb.google.com/110790002387096071835/6281973293378220289?authkey=Gv1sRgCKvIkIPLqLnBYg
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 11 months ago.

Jannie

I wonder if this is a medical device? Like a steamer thing. I will see if I can find this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

possible. I did wonder if a rubber tube of some sort could be attached to the bit at the bottom

Jannie

Maybe it would sit on something else like a bowl or something that would contain hot water with medicine in it, and the steam would go up the opening in the bottom, then come out the top area. Like a humidifier?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Anything's possible. It is completely hollow inside.

That is why I think it goes with something else.

Hello

Well I am officially stumped on this one! I believe it has to do with a humidifier of some sort. I just cannot find this at all. I find porcelain humidifiers that were very old but none that look like this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, I've been stuck in bed, ill, since Thurs p.m.

I'll ask some of my French friends if they have any idea what it is and get back to you when I find a bit more info.

Thanks for trying.

I thought something might be wrong. Hope you are ok? Is it the flu?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

violent indigestion caused me to vomit for over 8hrs (I think it's because he went mad on planting lettuce in the poly tunnel so we've been eating better than rabbits for a few weeks) then my back locked so I couldn't move. Feeling a lot better today but just soooo cold - had violent thunderstorms last night, threw out all the power and (according to the news) several people got hit by lightning in Paris. Today it's been almost like the Indian Monsoon's with the water running down the drive like a river in flood.

My daughter cannot eat lettuce, she says she tastes it forever, and will not eat it at all at night. It gives her heart burn so bad.

I am so sorry you have been sick.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I love lettuce but - twice a day? Think he's trying to kill me off (ha!ha!). Have told him he's got to start feeding some of it to the pigeons and hens.

Now on soup or hot milk and feeling a bit better.

Hope you're well.

I am doing pretty good, hubby had his operation, had to stay in the hospital 3 nights due to bleeding. But he is home now.. will be home for 4-6 weeks, GRRRRR