Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have a 7" pottery drinking pitcher made in 1747 by W Moore

Customer Question

I have a 7" pottery drinking pitcher made in 1747 by W Moore Binns from Old Bristol Delit design printed on the bottom. It is cream colored with a leaf and flower pattern done in a subtle print The handle is navy done in a delicate somewhat wrapped design. Perfect condition except for a very slight chip on the inside rim /spout. It is not chipped through The rim is perfectly wrapped in navy which does not reflect on the outside. Shows a delicate grayish tone from age approximately 1" drop at very top both outside and inside which shows the age. The remaining pitcher shows no age in my opinion and is cream in color. Sent to me from my father who dealt with antiques in california but he passed away before he could give me any facts. I have had it over 30 years tucked away in a dark closet. I appreciate anything you can advise me with this pitcher. As far as a photo my printer won't print but if it turns out to be worthwhile I will get you a picture.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

I will need to have photos to give you the most accurate answer.

Please send photos of the pitcher and one clear, close-up one of the marks on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

Also, how tall is the pitcher?

Kind regards,

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Your excellent photos did arrive.

True Bristol Delft is 18thC.

An 18thC Bristol Delft pitcher would sell for $900-1100 if in excellent condition.

However, your piece is a 20thC reproduction of this 18thC pottery.

The reference to W Moore Binns refers to an early 20thC author who wrote the book

The First Century of English Porcelain in 1906. The date 1747 most probably refers to a style described by Binns in his book. It is most certainly not the date your pitcher was made.

Several firms made copies of old British Delft patterns from the 1930s-1970s. These were primarily Pountney & Co, Ltd, A G Richardson & co, Ltd and Portmeirion Potteries, Ltd.

Your 20thC copy was most probably made 1930s-1950s. The effort to make it look older is seen in the style of the letters on the bottom.

The old 18thC design is lovely.

My research indicates your pitcher would have a retail asking price of $110-125.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Amazon Marketplace:

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Kind regards,