Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I believe I have a an original painting by the Canadian

Customer Question

I believe I have a an original painting by the Canadian artist Homer Watson. It has been in the family for generations and supposedly was purchased in Galt, Ontario at his studio as the family provenance claims. I've seen his work in the National Gallery in Ottawa, as well as in Toronto and Montreal. I don't see a signature by him however but it is very much the style of his and the associates of his genre. I live in Detroit with close proximity to Windsor. Would it be worth my while to take it to DuMochelle here or should I have it inspected by a Canadian appraiser? Any thoughts on this? I appreciate your input. Best regards ***** ***** Rastello (*****@******.***)
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. Does the painting have initials H W anywhere on it? You may need a magnifying glass. See the following image of one of Watson's signatures. (He had at least 8 different ones.) Let me know. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Doris. I will check with a magnifying glass. Would you think his work is more desirable to the Canadian art markets? Any ideas for checking prior sales? This work is an oil that features a landscape with small cottage in the lower right hand corner but has the most realistic full moon with clouds reflected in a river as the focal point that I've ever seen. It also measures appox. 42" w X 34" h in a beautiful obviously original wood gilt carved frame. If you like I could e-mail a photo if you're interested.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks again - Jim
Jim, if you can look for the HW anywhere on the painting, let's do that first before we proceed with value and other questions you are asking. Yes, do send a photo of the painting.To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page. Kind regards,DorisPlease do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best. Kind regards,Doris