Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a hot chocolate set a pitcher with cover, six small

Customer Question

I have a hot chocolate set a pitcher with cover, six small demitasse cups and saucers, either fine china or porcelain, hand painted as indicated on the bottom of the saucer, no markings on the pitcher. On the bottom of the cups is the letters EB with what looks like a wide V with a circle around it. Not sure of the origin but my grandpa was a mechanic but from Europe as a musician in an orchestra. I think Violin. Not sure if American origin or from Germany/Poland. Pretty blue and gold painted. I am 66 and my grandmother died at 89. My mom who is now 91 was her youngest and was born in Grand Rapids MI in 1924 I just wanted to know a little about the set.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

Please send me some photos:

At least one of the set

One showing the pattern

A clear , close-up of marks on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Generally these chocolate sets were made of porcelain and were made in Germany. The absence of a country of origin mark would date the set to circa 1880's and no later than 1892. A chocolate set can sell for $100 - $1500 depending on the maker. I can help establish the maker of yours by seeing images. Here are some links to examples and their sale prices by different makers and sets that sold in the high range:

$1500:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/royal-bayreuth-rose-tapestry-439444560

$910:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-dresden-hand-painted-434202871

$800:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/prussia-porcelain-chocolate-set-lot-1782686596

Feel free to add photos here at anytime, there is not an additional charge to send pictures here.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora