Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Opera glasses with mother of pearl. VENDOME PARIS

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 6 months ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your opera glasses. Thanks for the helpful photo.Do you happen to have the case for them too?Also, is there a little logo or any writing on the bar that goes through the center focusing wheel?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No case. VENDOME PARIS is on part that goes up to your eye. Can I send another picture?
Sure, please go ahead and add as many pictures as you wish.That would be a great help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One more picture
Okay, great, that's all I need, thanks.Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can.
Your pretty opera glasses date to the first quarter of the 20th century. They are of standard form for the fashion at the time, with a brass frame and the barrels decorated with a faceted encasement of mother of pearl.Not much is known about the Vendome brand. There were many such trade names where the optics were made by one company and the decoration and presentation case by another. The name was no doubt chosen because of the name recognition of Rue de Vendome which is at the heart of the opera theatre district of Paris.As for value, these opera glasses were made in such plentiful numbers at the time that quite a few still survive and so prices are not as great as one might expect.View post on imgur.com">This example, identical to yours, sold at auction recently for $36, which is probably about right.I would give your pair an auction or on line (eBay etc) value in the range of $30 - $50.They therefore have a full retail value (if you were to see them for sale in an antique store, for instance) of $120. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.I do hope this helps!Please let me know if you would like further assistance with this, I would be glad to.Best wishes,Robert