Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I want to sell Noritake China Japan stamp 5790R. I have

Customer Question

Hi! I want to sell Noritake China Japan stamp 5790R. I have a 12 piece setting...12 dinner plates, 12 small plates, 12 bowls, 12 tea cups and saucers, a large meat platter, a gravy bowl, 2 serving bowls, cream & sugar and salt & pepper shakers. I am in the Dallas area. Where is the best place to sell? Thanks, Mary
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Mary,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Noritake service.Can you confirm that this is the pattern? And this is the mark?If not, could you very kindly attach a photo. Also, this should be the inventory, correct?12 dinner plates12 tea cups and saucers12 bread & butter plates,12 bowlsLarge 13" meat platterGravy bowl2 serving bowlscreamer & sugarsalt & pepper shakers As soon as I hear back, I'll give you a full appraisal and some suggestions on the best place to sell in the Dallas area.Many thanks,Robert
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes, this is the pattern and the mark Mary
Great, thanks for confirming that.This mid-century modern shape and pattern with the platinum trim (so fashionable at the time) is also called Rosales and was issued by Noritake from 1956 to 1971.Rosales was produced in large quantities so there's still quite a lot of it around on the secondary market (auctions and on line sales such as eBay) which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good, because it's still available for those wishing to replace pieces or build sets, therefore creating a steady demand, but bad too because the sheer volume offered for sale means that prices for it are not that great.So here are the values to expect if you were to sell at a good local antique auction house or on line (eBay etc) 12 dinner plates.........................80 - 12012 tea cups and saucers..............40 - 6012 bread & butter plates..............20 - 3012 bowls....................................48 - 68Large 13" meat platter.................15 - 25Gravy bowl................................. 15 - 252 serving bowls............................30 - 50creamer & sugar.......................... 15 - 25salt & pepper shakers (rare)..........40 - 60Total.............................circa $300 - $450Therefore the set has a total replacement value of $900 for insurance purposes. As far as selling is concerned, the best venue for this service would be to sell through a good antique auction house. These three come highly recommended:(1) Dallas Auction Gallery,2235 Monitor StreetDallas, TX 75207http://www.dallasauctiongallery.com/services/selling-at-auction/ (2) J.Garrett Auctioneers,1217 Slocum St.Dallas, TX 75207http://www.jgarrettauctioneers.com/ (3) Heritage Auctions3500 Maple Avenue17th FloorDallas, TX 75219http://www.ha.com/ I do hope this helps!Please let me know if you like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.Best wishes,Robert .