Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Greetings from Tulsa, OK; In 1978 my mother purchased Homer

Customer Question

Greetings from Tulsa, OK;
In 1978 my mother purchased Homer Laughlin china from an estate sale. She wrote the company (I have the letter) inquiring of its value. The letter states the company was unable to identify the pattern, but from the trade markings it was manufactured in 1951-52 at plant #6 or 8 at their present location. The letterhead confirms it came from Newell, W. VA and it is sign by E. S. Carson. Stapled to the letter is a "Method of dating dinnerware" sheet. According to this my mother's china has the initials of HLC with made in the USA and G51N6 underneath it and fits the period of 1931-1969. May I safely assume the dinnerware was made in 1951 at plant 4?
However, we are also interested in the pattern. To my best description (wish I could send you a pic) it has a gold rim with large gold filigree type pattern just inside the rim. Directly inside the plate are country scenes and it looks like each one is different. And to me it looks kind of "Frenchy". The pictures has trees, animals, children, cottages, streams, etc. Looks a little over done to me, but what do I know. This set is rather large with 12 large dinner plates, 12 fruit bowls, 12 soup bowls, 12 pie plates, 12 saucers, 12 smaller coffee saucers (not a mistake-24 saucers in total), 2 mugs (why 2?) with 2 mug saucers, 2 large large round serving bowls, 1 large oval serving bowl, 1 small oval flat serving plate, gravy boat, creamer and sugar and all are in pristine shape with no broken edges or cracks. How that happened I'll never know.
My parents, Carl and Helen Arft of Lamar, MO, grew up during the depression. Dad is 91 and mom is 87. They never made a lot of money, but what they did make they saved, invested, and have done quite well for themselves. I am quite proud of them! My mom is in end stage renal failure, on hospice, and dying. My dad, while not on hospice, is not much better. Their bodies are frail from 60 years of toiling on the farm, hence the appeal of the country scenes on the china. I would love to be able to tell my mom of the value of her china.
If there is any other information you may need, please contact me at***@******.***
Susie Arft Keepper (###) ###-####
2506 W Quincy Circle
Broken Arrow, OK 74012
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 5 months ago.
HelloThe set is the Homer Laughlin Country Scene Set, circa: 1951. It depicts European Country Scenes, with Gold Filigree edge. You rarely ever find a complete set, there are plates here and there but, rarely a complete dinner set. .This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!.The Service for 12 with Extras of extra saucers, 2 mugs (why 2?) with 2 mug saucers, 2 large large round serving bowls, 1 large oval serving bowl, 1 small oval flat serving plate, gravy boat, creamer and sugar , has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally..Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. .You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item..If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you..Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.. It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site. .As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. After being verified we are allowed to come to the site to answer customer's questions . The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. Clicking one of the stars or smiley faces is very much appreciated. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know. . It was a pleasure working for you, :) ( smiles ) .Glenda
Hello,Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help with this questions. .Since it is not rated yet, I wonder if there was a problem with the answer I provided for you?.Thank you so much!Glenda