Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Wanted to get your opinion about a large tapestry I purchased

Customer Question

Wanted to get your opinion about a large tapestry I purchased from an antique shop on Fillmore Street, San Francisco around 1986. It's been sitting in the closet. I can't find any of the paperwork on age, etc. But I remember paying about $3000. It's in very good condition and measures 9'4" X 10'. There are several stories within the story here - knights returning from battle and there is a battle going on above their heads (top center), Romulus and Remus on the left under the wolf, some sort of tribute or crowning of someone Roman on the right. It looks as if it is signed (OC) at the bottom of the woman with the red drape on her lap Was wondering how I can find info on it--age; where made, etc. Your help greatly appreciated.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There was only the photo of the piece that came with your original inquiry. Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the signature and the back with maybe a close up of the the front and back so I can see if it is painted, silkscreened or sewn.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here are additional photos of the tapestry.
Thank you for the great pictures. I will have to opt-out of the question as it is not familiar to me. The next expert will be able to see the photos and out conversation. I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank for update. I primarily interested in the approximate age of the tapestry and estimated value. I've enjoyed it for over 30 years and am interested in selling it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Guess no one could help. Hopefully I was not charged.