AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

We have 2 clay heads about 2 1/2 inches high and 1 1/2 inches

Customer Question

we have 2 clay heads about 2 1/2 inches high and 1 1/2 inches across. fired in a fire long gated noses perferated ears, one female and one male. The box they were found in stated ancient. Tried to find out where they came from and worth. No one has any idea. Looks like South America.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Please send photos of the heads from all angles. ~Nora
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I hope this helps and if you want you can call Jim at(###) ###-####thank-you, Nora
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey Nora just curious when I can expect an answer? Thank-you for your help!
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.
Hi There, I am not able to make a definitive statement on date and origin of these. I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response. I will not be able to respond back after opting-out I do hope you find the information that you seek. ~Nora
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's very disappointing. I hope someone from your establishment can give us an answer!
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 9 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'm happy to work on your question. I'm doing some research now and will get back to you.Jennifer
As you thought, these are Pre Columbian pieces, from what is now Western Mexico. Most likely Jalisco, most likely 100BC-250AD (can't say for sure without seeing them in person, but it's likely). The vent holes in the ears were quite common with Jalisco figures.These did not start their lives as heads/busts, but were broken off of larger figures.Because the bodies are missing, these would be worth perhaps $200-$250 each at retail, $100 at auction. But I always hold onto my own pre-columbian finds, because it's so wonderful to hold something so ancient!Please let me know if I can help further.Sincerely,Jennifer
I see you have not yet rated/accepted my answer. How can I help you further?http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hlJennifer