rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a painting by J D Parrish. It has a sticker on the

Customer Question

I have a painting by J D Parrish. It has a sticker on the back saying Wentworth Gallery out of Miami sold it to someone. It is approximately 63"H X 33" W. It says Ana X 1/1. Can you tell me the approximate value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.This is a painting on canvas?Jennifer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes it is
Thank you. And are you looking for a retail value, for insurance purposes, or a potential resale value?Jennifer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Insurance purposes.
Unfortunately, the market for this artist has not been great, despite his work being quite lovely.The most recent auction sale I can find is in 2011, of a portrait similar in quality and style to your piece, measuring 45" x 32", for $275.I'm doing some additional research for retail values. I'll get back to you -- it may take up to a day to get the replies I need.Sincerely,Jennifer
I'm sorry, I do not handle appraisals via phone call. I find that written communication is much better so that we can retain the details.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still working on my appraisal or are you finished with me?
Still working.As I said, the resale on this artist is currently pretty dismal. That's not to say that in the future the resale market might not pick up--markets change all the time.But you are looking for a retail value for insurance. The artist is self-represented at this point, that is, he has no gallery representation. So the only retail valuation would come directly from the artist. I did reach out to discuss, but have yet to receive an answer.Sincerely,Jennifer
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.
This is a painting titled Ana X by artist John David Parrish (born 1956) , a California and Arizona artist that is a professor of art at Chandler-Gilbert Community College in Arizona. This portrait has a current retail value of $150.00 and an inusurance value of $275. To learn more about the artist, you can go here- website and follow his artwork on his Facebook page here. It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.