Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Value of Grosvenor Green Gold and White Bone China Teaset Purchased

Customer Question

Value of Grosvenor Green Gold and White Bone China Teaset Purchased at Auction in 1945
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 6 months ago.
Hi Harry,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Grosvenor China tea set.Can you very kindly confirm the inventory:6 cups & saucers6 bread & butter platesServing dishes?Creamer & sugar?Teapot?Also, could you very kindly attach a photo. I can work sight unseen, if you wish, but will be able to give you a much tighter value range if I can see the pattern as some are more collectible than others.Many thanks,Robert. PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have 10 cups and saucers,10 tea plates, 2 snack serving plates, sugar bowl, and milk jug.
All in mint condition,
Thanks for the inventory, that helps.What does the backstamp say? Sometimes it gives the pattern name.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To: ***** *****
The back stamp says Jackson and Gosling Ltd.. Sorry,no pattern name.
Thank you for your help. I'm afraid I don't know how to take and send a photo. I'm a computer dinosaur!
Dr. Harry Peddie. P.S I would call you if you can give me your telephone number
P.S Thank you for your help. H.P..
Okay, thanks, that's no problem, we can do this sight-unseen. If the backstamp says: "Jackson & Gosling Ltd" and "Grosvenor Bone China" then it's circa 1920s - 1930s production so at least we know the date which helps.This firm made top quality English bone china at their pottery works in Fenton, Staffordshire, and "Grosvenor" was the trade-name they used from about 1912 onwards. Here are the value ranges to expect, assuming it's similar to this one in other words, not one of the more sought after patterns (there are not many of them), if you were to sell at your local antique auction house or on line (eBay etc).10 cups and saucers..................80 - 150 for all10 tea plates............................ 30 - 602 snack serving plates............... 20 - 40sugar & creamer....................... 20 - 30Total............................... $150 - $280Therefore the total replacement value for the set is $560 and is what you should insure it for.I do hope this helps!Please let me know if you like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.Best wishes,Robert