Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I was recently given a small carved (stone?) figure that looks

Customer Question

I was recently given a small carved (stone?) figure that looks like a child in a leather case and was asked to find out about it. I have no idea where to start. I have tried googling without success. I went to an area antique store but they did not know about ( they called it a doll) figures. Can you direct me to a source of information or something please?
Teresa
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 6 months ago.
Hi Teresa,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your little figure.It may look and feel like stone, but it's actually made from porcelain and unglazed or bisque so it feels slightly rough. What you have is a "frozen Charlotte penny doll". "Frozen" because this is the name given to this design of porcelain dolls where the legs and arms are all of apiece with the body. And also because "frozen Charlotte" refers to a particular doll, made from 1850 to the 1920s, that was based on the little girl in the American ballad "Fair Charlotte" who refused to wrap up properly for a sleigh ride because she was too vain to cover up her pretty dress and she froze to death.They are also called pillar dolls, solid chinas or bathing babies.The smaller ones like yours were called penny dolls because that's all they cost new at the time. Most were made in Germany and then later in Japan.Originally, she may have had black painted enamel hair and facial features, though some were produced undecorated.The leather pouch is incidental (it was probably a pocket knife sheath at one time) and whomever it belonged to decided it was a perfect little sleeping bag or papoose to keep the doll in.It does not have a great deal of value, these dolls were produced in monumental numbers and so are still readily available on the secondary market (auctions and on line sales such as eBay) where one like yours in its current condition would sell in the range of $10 - $15. Perhaps a little more because of the pouch.I do hope this helps!Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.Best wishes,Robert