Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I acquired grandma's jewelry collection. A lot of it is

Customer Question

HI I acquired grandma's jewelry collection. A lot of it is plastic necklace, bracelets and matching earring sets. She also had a variety of gemstone pins and earrings both clip on and screw backs. Some of these could date from around 1940's on up. Maybe ever earlier. How can I tell if the gemstones are real? I live in the Twin Cities. Is there someone I can bring them too to get an appraisal in town? I'd like to sell some of it. She also love wearing her fancy pins on folded lace hankies. I have quite a few of those too. Thanks for your time.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 5 months ago.
HelloYou can tell if they are real by looking to see if any of the pieces are marked with a gold mark or a silver mark. Costume jewelry did not use diamonds or precious gemstones. They used Rhinestones, Crystals, and some Semi Precious Stones. The vintage jewelry if marked sterling or 14 kt gold may have a precious gem stone in it. Is this the collection of ear rings that she had?