Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an antique teddy bear that was made in1900 and given

Customer Question

I have an antique teddy bear that was made in1900 and given to me from my great great uncle and Im trying to find out what its worth? ?? I may be interested in selling it depending on its worth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. Please send me a photo of your teddy bear and one of any labels there might be. You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the labels.If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the labels and take a photo of the sketch. To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best. Then I need to the height of the bear. Kind regards, Doris
One more thing,Can you tell what the stuffing is? Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could you please email response to my wife so she can reply with a pic of the teddy bear because Im currently not at home and on my tablet and the camera isn't working properly......Email to***@******.***
Thank you
The site structure does not allow me to send the questions/responses to another address.Perhaps you could give your wife your email address and let her respond through your address.As I mentioned in my introduction, I do not take live conversations.Too much research needs to be done to give "off the cuff" answers.I prefer to communicate in writing so that I can be sure you are receiving well-researched answers. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did u get the pic??
No. I'm sorry.You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the labels.If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the labels and take a photo of the sketch. To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best. Kind regards.Doris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is really frustrating everytime I hit the add files tab AMD choose camera it takes the pic but after the pic its not attaching and keeps opening a 2nd tab to craigslist!!! So then I replyed to the email i got from you at bobbymorton8705@, with a picture and the measutements.....I don't know what else to do
Try the email method but follow the directions exactly. This method can take 24 hours. This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.Send the picture to ***@******.*** the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals.".In the body of the message put, your user name and name..Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered withJust Answer, so they can verify who you are.This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answertechs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours..They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This doesn't seem to be working you don't seem to be getting my actual email responses and I can't do it from this tablet so I guess how do I go about getting a refund
Have you tried the email exact method described above to [email protected] .com? Or you can contact customer support at this site - http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
I just received your photos via the site.Now I need to know the height of the bear as well as the type of stuffing. Kind regards,Doris
Also, I just noticed that in your photo there is a yellow ribbon. Is this a label?If so, please tell me what it says. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is a 3rd place ribbon from bear show here in baltimore in the 80's
Thank you but also what is height and stuffing?Kind regards,Doris
Height, stuffing and type of fur? Is it mohair?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think it's mohair. 12" high. Feels like paper stuffing. Also ribbon is from 1993 Baltimore's best teddy bear show in timonium,md. 3rd place.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't see any stuffing all stitches are still intact. But feels like paper.
Thank you for the photo and information.Your bear has a retail antiques store value of $2150 - 2350 assuming good condition. Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.Artfire.comBonanza.comAmazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOAThese sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.GoAntiques.comRubylane.comTias.comcyberattic.comtrocadero.comA method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertisingBe sure to specify local pick up only. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport. A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
Hi there!I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?Let me know,Kind regards,Doris