AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.

When I was a child in the 1930's, we had 4 Little Women dolls

Customer Question

When I was a child in the 1930's, we had 4 Little Women dolls - not Madame Alexander!
They may have been English as they were dressed in, what I believe, was Liberty of London
prints. They were beautiful, but I have never seen any like them since. My guess is that t
they were 8" to 12". They were very true to the story in looks. Any ideas of what they were?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Liberty of London did produce dolls in that period and they sell on the market for $100 - $170. They were generally of Royal Family members, though not all. Did one of yours look similar to the one in this link: Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating. ~Nora
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It may have, although I can not see the doll well enough. I remember that they all had beautiful, full heads of hair and one {Meg?) had a snood.
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
I will see if I can find other non-Madame Alexander Little Women doll sets for you. ~Nora
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for looking further. Did L. of London sell dolls in USA? These would have been bought in NYC or Cleveland.
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Certainly, I will look into that for you.
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I have not found a matching doll set for you. I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response. I will not be able to respond back after opting-out I do hope you find the information that you seek. ~Nora
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 5 months ago.
Good morning,My name is*****'ll try to help as well.Were the dolls bisque/porcelain, or a more plastic product (rubber, plastic, celluloid)?Was the hair molded, or wig hair?Did they have a grown woman look like these: a more childlike look like the Madame Alexanders?SIncerely,Jennifer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jennifer,
The dolls were not stiff: they may have been cloth bodies. They had real hair, not molded, and no brocade dresses. Their clothes were suitable to the story - Liberty prints, I believe.