Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a vase JA: I always love having an appraiser look

Customer Question

I have a vase
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: A vase by briggle
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Pink glaze, figure forms the top
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. Please send photos - one of the vase and one of the marks on the bottom. You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best. It is important also that you send the height of the vase. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1 pic
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Height 10.9 "
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oops, the figurative vase 10.25"
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do u have everything U need?
Thank you for the information and photos.Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.I should be back within 45 minutes.I thank you in advance for your patience.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, no call, understand
Your Van Briggle vase has a retail vintage store value of $395 assuming good condition. Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.Artfire.comBonanza.comAmazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOAThese sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.GoAntiques.comRubylane.comTias.comcyberattic.comtrocadero.com A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
As I mentioned in my introduction, I do not take live conversations.Too much research needs to be done to give "off the cuff" answers.I prefer to communicate in writing so that I can be sure you are receiving well-researched answers. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I saw one at Chicago Art Institute, however it was a blue-ish glaze. Is that why mine is less?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was curious why mine isn't Art Institure Quality. Would U happen to know?
Actually, the Van Briggle vases I found were almost all less than this one. There was only one valued at $395....the highest value I found for any of the Van Briggle vases. Perhaps the one at the Art Institute is higher because of the fact it is being sold in a very large city where items cost more than the average US city.This often happens that there is nearly always a variance related to the size of the location. See the following image. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The woman figurative vase was on display in the museum. Why is mine not the same quality?
The image I sent you is actually a more desirable design than yours. Art Nouveau designs are very popular right now. There were multiples made of the sample I sent you because it was made in the 1980s when yours was probably made. Perhaps the one in the museum was made before 1920 when Van Briggle started making many multiples of the same design. I hope I have helped you. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I appreciate your information. My vase is the same as your picture. Do u know when that color was made?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you know when my glaze was used?
I cannot find exactly when your glaze was used but it seems that it was used over a long period as I found examples back to the 20s through the 80s. Again, the image I sent you where the style of the vase was similar to yours was from the 80s. Best,Doris