Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have a China doll that once belonged to omy grandmother-I

Customer Question

I have a China doll that once belonged to omy grandmother-I am now 75 yrs. old. It once had porcelain hands but a cloth and leather body filled with what looks like sawdust. Where should I take her for appraisal? She has black wavy painted hair and her body is probably not worth saving.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I can help assess the value of what you have by seeing images. Please send photos at your convenience. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hello, From your description you have a molded porcelain face doll. These were made from the middle of the 19th century and into the early 20th century. The way the hair is styled in the molding is the best way to narrow down the date and age. On today's market, these sell for $50 - $400 depending on the age. I will be happy to confirm age and value for you by seeing images. You can send them at your convenience; there is not an additional charge for adding images here. You can also contact Theriault's, a specialty antique doll auction house. It is free to contact them through their website at Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance? Please let me know. Sincerely, Nora