AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

Antique Solid Brass approximate 11" round sitting on a solid

Customer Question

Antique Solid Brass approximate 11" round sitting on a solid brass clock holder. Brand is Chelsea Clock out of Boston, Mass/ Serial Number on back of clock is 145727..Also a number of 384 is stamped on back of clock and the brass clock holder. The name on the front of clock is SS Walter Jennings
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No, I have never done this before and I am wondering what amount of insurance I should put on this?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 8 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.I'll need to see an overall photo, and some shots of the various markings and labels.Photo upload instructions can be found here:http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0Sincerely,Jennifer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have added 7 photo file
My sincere apologies! I did not get an email notice, which the system typically sends!The SS Walter Jennings was an Esso tanker, in use from 1921 to 1944. Here's an interesting webpage, which you may already have seen:http://www.aukevisser.nl/inter/id128.htmThis brass ship's bell clock would have been installed upon building in 1921. The serial number dates it as 1920-1924.These are quite valuable, and I need to be a bit more specific on the measurements--this would be either a 10" clock, or a 12" clock, and that helps me ID the model.Jennifer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Size of the clock is 10 1/4 Depth is 3 5/8
BRass holder is 12 wide by 4 3/4 high
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Size of clock is 10 1/4 Depth 3 5/8
Base holder is 12 by 4 3/4
High 3 1/4
Thanks. I am working on this, but it may take up to a day for me to get you an answer. This is an extremely interesting item, so I'm reaching out to some colleagues.May I ask, in the meantime, where you got it?Jennifer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was in the family
Thank you.So this is the 10" model, Chelsea brass ship's bell clock, circa 1920, from the merchant tanker SS Walter Jennings.At auction, I would expect this to be estimated in the range of $6,000 - $9,000. With eager bidders in a well-placed sale, it could go even higher. It's a lovely piece.Sincerely,Jennifer
Good morning,Do you have any more questions? How can I help you further?If not I'd appreciate if you could rate/accept my answer so I can be credited for my work.Sincerely,Jennifer