Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have approximately the top 3/4 of a Continental Army discharge

Customer Question

I have approximately the top 3/4 of a Continental Army discharge paper signed by ***** *****. The name of the soldier discharged appears to be one "Brinten Basner", or something like that. I think the name might be Danish. He served in The Second Connecticut Regiment from April 8th 1777 to June 8th 1783. Washington's signature is clear and contains all of the genuine elements which were peculiar to his signature, such as the small super-scripted "o" with 2 dots below it just after the capitol G, also the characteristic lower case g with it's curved line at the end of the bottom stroke. Also includes most of his personal assistant's signature, J. (Jonathon) Trumbull Jr. Esq., and the signature of a J. Curtiss, Adjutant. The paper and ink appear genuine under magnification, as does the rag paper which is quite thin, which I hadn't expected. There is a repaired vertical tear at the right side. The paper is folded and wrinkled as they were generally folded up and carried around in the soldiers' pockets I'm told,for some length of time. What is it's value, and how could i sell it to a reputable dealer? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images. If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am having trouble getting a new login password, however I will attempt to send the images again here.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hope this email reaches you with the images this time.
Thank you.
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for your patience. An intact 1783 copy sold recently for $20,000. Here is a link for you to that sale: Yours being a partial sheet, can sell for as high as $6000 on today's market. I recommend contacting Heritage Auction House through their website at In the meantime, be on the look-out for a confirmation email from customer service confirming they have received your images and will forward to me. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance? Please let me know. Sincerely, Nora