Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a herend ming soup toureen never been used.. Trimmed

Customer Question

I have a herend ming soup toureen never been used.. Trimmed in 24kt gold. I was told the current retail value is $9800.00... What would be a reasonable price to ask???
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Lynn,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Herend tureen.Is it the version with the Chinaman finial like this?If not, could you very kindly attach a photo.Also, how old is it? Or would you like me to date it. If so, please attach a photo of the mark.Many thanks,Robert. PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would like to talk to you about this... Toureen has 5 Koi fish on it and stamped on bottom 2008.mgLynn
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
herend ming pattern soup toureen
Thanks for the extra information. I know which one you have, it should look like this one, correct?How old is it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is the one... I have had it maybe 30 plus years... Marked 2008/MG... Never been used... Been in a curio cabinet the whole time I have owned it...
LYNN
Okay, thanks for confirming that.Let me check some recent sales data and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as possible.Meanwhile, if you let me know your zip, I'll see what options there are for selling in your area, if you wish.
This is certainly a magnificent example of Herend porcelain with its fish handles and finial, and a Chinese beauty seated among the 'precious objects' of a literati/scholar/artist, a favorite scene on Chinese export ware of the early Qing period (1700s) that Herend have so convincingly reproduced in this "Ming" pattern.Herend issued this pattern from about 1985 - 1991 and it's now discontinued, but there is a strong secondary market for it still (at local auctions and on line, such as eBay) for those wishing to build sets and replace pieces.As for value, the example I sent you the picture of sold at auction (on line) for $1800 last year.And this entire service of 106 pieces including your tureen sold for $12,500.So I would say a fair price for your tureen, if you were to sell at a good antique auction house or on line (eBay etc), would be in the range of $1500 - $2000.It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale at Replacements.com for instance) of $4000. This is also the replacement value and what you should insure it for.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would like to know where I might sell this item. My zip code is 28056.Thank you
LYNN
Sure. Here's three that come highly recommended: (1) Brunk Auctions117 Tunnel RoadAsheville, NC 28805http://www.brunkauctions.com/selling/how-to-consign/ (2) Leland Little Auctions,620 Cornerstone CourtHillsborough, NC 27278http://www.lelandlittle.com/l/about/ (3) Lilly Auction & Gallery,125 Indian-Trail Rd.PO Box 2005Indian Trail, NC 28079http://www.lillys.com/selling.htm Although the first two are a little distant from you, they are by far the best in the area for selling your tureen.I hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert S. PS. You would do well to give Replacements.com a call first and see what price they would give you for it. They are located at in Greensboro, NC*****,McLeansville, NC 27301http://www.replacements.com/index.htmHope this helps and best of luck with selling it.R.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for all your help..LYNN
You are very welcome!