Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Antique Candlesticks 10 1/4" found in pile of junk at an estate

Customer Question

Antique Candlesticks 10 1/4" found in pile of junk at an estate sale. I am looking for more information/value. My findings so far: Tested with Magnet not magnetized. The base is separate from the stem (2 total pieces). I found a seam horizontally that appears to indicate two halfs seamed together. One weighs 1.8 ozs. The color looks to be a reddish brown almost tree bark color. The bottom fastener appears to have threads. Purchased with the felt and composite bottom protector.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome, Ellen. My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. Have you tried cleaning these with a soft metal polish like Wrights? Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, I have not. I did not know if that was advisable.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The underside inside is the same color fyi
Try cleaning a bit of the underside.
Also, are they weighted with cement?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Doing it now, real deep orange rust color. Layers. They are hollow on the underside of the base, definitely no cement unless it is concealed in the upper stem that is not the same piece made separately. I will let you know when I reveal the color of the base.
Could they be copper or are they too light weight?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure they are 1.8 oz. I am starting to get a black color rubbing off on my cloth and what I think some silver showing through. I am going to continue on polishing that area.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actually a shiny copper color per my husband coming through. Not sure yet, I am going to continue
Worth trying.They look like 19thC fused silver over copper - Old Sheffield Plate. Best,Doris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you I will look in that direction
If they are, the silver is often worn through or off almost completely.Best,Doris
It is also possible they might have originally been ormolu - gilded metal.Doris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought you were gone and had fulfilled my request. I have researched the 19th century plate silver over copper. Great possibility. You are right about trying to figure out what is under all that heavy rust then what looks like silver tarnish. I came across the ormolu and the style of the sticks seem to match both the ormolu period and the Sheffield plate 19th century. Thanks for an alternative for me to look.
I had to take some time away from my computer.Keep trying to polish a small part at a time, If you rub too hard an d it is ormolu, you might rub off the gilt material. After you have tried a little area, come back here and we can try to see what you have.Old Sheffield Plate candlesticks usually have cement or tar inside to give the sticks weight.Ormolu does not usually have cement so be careful. Still, the style is late Old Sheffield Plate, about 1850-1860, more than French Empire. Let me know what you find as you polish, then I can value. Kind regards,Doris
Have you determined anything yet?Kind regards,Doris