Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have a chair bought by my grandfather in the late 1920s at

Customer Question

I have a chair bought by my grandfather in the late 1920s at an estate sale in New Haven, CT. It is mahogany with icory inlaid decorations.He had seen one exactly like in in the Smithsonian Museum in DC. I would like to know it's value, please. Thank you very much! Erin
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the mark If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hello, From your description, your chair was likely made using Dutch Marquetry, or inlaid wood decoration. This type of decoration has been used on furniture for several centuries. The value of your chair would depend on a few factors, though in general, these sell for $75 - $400. Please note that just because an object is in a museum, does not automatically make the item valuable, it means it is preserved for history and teaching the public. I can confirm the value of what you have by seeing photos, and you are welcome to send them here to this thread at no additional charge. Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance? Please let me know. Sincerely, Nora