rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have in excellent working condition, an antique black slate

Customer Question

I have in excellent working condition, an antique black slate and marble or I guess it could be black marble..... mantle clock, marked french make at the top of the porcelain dial. Everything about the clock contains all the original parts. Would like to somehow find out a value, origin, and age. I am a 37 year old that loves old things, just of the mystery of the craftsmanship and its cool that these things have been around during very different times. Anyway, was just wondering if I could find answers, but you would probably need pictures to answer me. If there's a way to send pics please let me know! Thanks, Tony
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There was only one picture that came with your original inquiry (of the clock).The next step would be for me to see pictures of the dial and of the movement (should be able to open the back) so that I can get visual clues of the date and value.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pics of clock
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
More pics
This shows in the photos but very faintly. The area of the brass dial in between the two winding holes has words there starting with a W. something. You can take some pencil lead or powdered eyshadow to gently rub over that area to make it more pronounced and let me know what it reads.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What can you tell me without doing that to the face.......?
This is a 1890 French slate and marble mantel clock and would have been part of a garniture set with matching candle holders for either side.This clock has some condition issues, hairlines in the dial and some splits in the marble.The clock has a current value of $250.00.It is important ofr you to click the stars after you have read this answer.