Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers. Author of 3 books on collecting.
57035021

I have a large postcard collection left to my siblings and

Customer Question

I have a large postcard collection left to my siblings and me from my mother. If it is worthless I don't want to pay a lot for an appraisal. Some are old, some are linen, some are holiday and humorous; most are U.S. and European vacation locations not worth a lot I suspect. I am the power of attorney for property. What is the most economical way to get an idea of the value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 11 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.We answer questions here at a fee that you should see posted on your page. If it is not there, you can go to***@******.*** and ask there. I have nothing to do with the money here. I just answer the questions and hope you give me a positive rating. Do you want to go ahead with this appraisal?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just put the $5 down on cc and agree to pay the remainder of $38. fee,
Okay - here's what you need to know.The vast majority of old post cards fall into the 50 cent to one dollar range.The materials and subject matter determine the value. and condition is paramount. The tiniest crease or speck of dirt, or a postmark showing through to the picture side of the card, will reduce the value drastically.Tourist cards are worth very little because they are so common, so the vacation ones you have usually wind up in the 25 cent box. The linens usually sell for a dollar or two, with anything depicting Route 66 scenes selling for $3 to $5.The most popular card with collectors is the view card. That's a scene of a small town that's named on the card. People collect cards that depict towns where or near where they grew up. Most holiday cards are in the $2 - $3 range, with Hallowe'en cards that depict jack o' lanterns and black cats selling for much more ($20 - $30). Cards by well known post card artists sell for more as well. Most Christmas cards sell in the 50 cent range, except those with full figure Santas, especially those depicting him in a color other than red, and doing interesting things, like riding in a car or flying a plane (one of those in good condition can sell for $50).Humor cards are only worth a few more dollars if they depict soldiers and sailors. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.Thank you so much!
Hi,I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.