LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a limited edition 1/100 serigraph of "Christ" by Peter

Customer Question

I have a limited edition 1/100 serigraph of "Christ" by Peter Max .Signed and inscribed.
Does it have any value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and I would be happy to help you.What are the measurements of the serigraph. numbered 1/100 it holds a good value. Peter MaxBorn: 1937 - Berlin, GermanyKnown for: illustrations-sport, psychedelic, pop art Here is information I found on the artist:Peter Max is a multi-dimensional artist focused on contemporary events. When he left art school in the 1960s he began producing,"cosmic imagery . . . that caught on right away, and before you knew it, I got an eight-page cover story in Life magazine." He explores all media, including mass media as a "canvas" for his creative expression.His decorative designs are on a Boeing 777Continental, Dale Earnhardt's #3 Millennium race car, U.S. postagestamps and 235 U.S. border murals. He created two 155-foot muralsfor the U.S. Pavilion at the Seville World's Fair in Spain, 12 postagestamps for the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and a 600-footstage mural for Woodstock 2. He has also painted for five U.S.presidents, as well as the Beatles, Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones.AfterSeptember 11th, 2001 Peter Max began a project by finishing 356portraits of the firefighters that were lost in the attack. Hisportraits were then given to the victims' families. In addition,from a special request from President George W. Bush, he recentlycreated another 356 portraits for a firefighters' memorial.PeterMax has worked with oils, acrylics, water colors, finger paints, dyes,pastels, charcoal, pen, multi-colored pencils, etchings, engravings,animation cells, lithographs, serigraphs, silk screens, ceramics,sculpture, collage, video and computer graphics.He loves tohear amazing facts about the universe and is as fascinated with numbersand mathematics as he is with visual phenomena."If I didn'tchoose art, I would have become an astronomer," states Max, who becamefascinated with astronomy while living in Israel, following a ten-yearupbringing in Shanghai, China. "I became fascinated with the vastdistances in space as well as the vast world within the atom."Max'searly childhood impressions had a profound influence on his psyche,weaving the fabric that was to become the tapestry of his full creativeexpression. He recalls it as a childhood filled with magic andadventure.European born, Peter Max was raised in Shanghai,China, where he spent his first ten years. He lived in apagoda-style house situated amidst a Buddhist monastery, a Sikh templeand a Viennese cafe. And yet, with all that richness anddiversity of culture, he still had a dream of an adventure yet to comein a far-off land called America.From American comic books,radio broadcasts and cinema shows, young Max formed an impression ofthe land of Captain Marvel, Flash Gordon, swing jazz, swashbucklers,freedom and creativity. But the American adventure was far in thefuture.At the age of ten, Max with his parents traveledacross the vast expanse of China to a Tibetan mountain camp at thefoothills of the Himalayas. Then they journeyed 9,000 feet up toa beautiful, white-turreted hotel in a mountain paradise that seemedlike Shangri-La.After their return to Shanghai, the familyleft on another voyage of discovery, around India, the continent ofAfrica, and Israel, where Max studied art with a Viennese "fauve"painter. It was in Israel that young Max also developed a loveand fascination for astronomy.In 1953, he and his familyemigrated to America after a six-month visit to Paris. Though it was arelatively short stay, he enrolled in an art school and absorbed theculture and art heritage of Paris. At the age of sixteen, herealized his childhood vision and arrived in America.Aftercompleting high school, he continued his art studies at The ArtStudents League, a renowned, traditional academy across from CarnegieHall in Manhattan. There, he learned the rigid disciplines ofRealism and developed into a realist painter.When he left artschool, Max had become fascinated with new trends in commercialillustration and graphic arts, from America as well as Europe andJapan. He decided to try his hand at it, and within a short time,he won awards for album covers and book jackets, which combined his ownbrand of realism with graphic art techniques.Max also admiredthe work of contemporary photographers such as Bert Stern, RichardAvedon, and Irving Penn, which led to his photo collage period, inwhich he had captured the psychedelic era of the mid '60s.As the '60s progressed, the photo collages gave way, to his "Cosmic '60s"style, with its distinctive line work and bold color combinations. It became his signature style.This new style developed as a spontaneous creative urge, following Max's meeting with Swami Satchidananda, an Indian Yoga master who taught him meditation and the spiritual teachings of the East.Max was suddenly on numerous magazine covers, including Life magazine, and appeared on national TV. Max's visual impact on the'60s has often been compared to the influence the Beatles had with their music.In the 1970s, Max gave up his commercial pursuits and went into retreat to begin painting in earnest. He submersed himself in his art for several years, and was only induced to come out of retreat on occasion through special commissions by the Federal government agencies: the U.S. Border murals, the first 10 U.S. postage stamp, and projects for the Federal Energy Commission.For July 4, 1976, Max created a special installation and art book, Peter Max Paints America,to commemorate America's bicentennial. It was the year Max also began his annual July 4th tradition of painting the Statue of Liberty. In 1982, Max painted six Liberties on the White House lawn, and then personally helped to actualize the statue's restoration,which was completed in 1986.In the years that followed, Max developed his new atelier, with a primary focus on paintings, mixed media works and limited graphic editions. He was primarily focused on concerns of environmental, human and animal rights.He began a series of works called Better World, and created a painting called I love the World, depicting an angel embracing the planet, inspired by his backstage experience at the Live Aid concert.In1989, for the 20th anniversary of Woodstock, Peter Max was asked to create world's largest rock-and-roll stage for the Moscow Music Peace Festival. Soon after the festival, in October, 1989, he unveiled his 40 Gorbys, a colorful homage to Mikhail Gorbachev, then Premier of Russia.Prophetically,a few weeks later, Communism fell in Eastern Europe, and Max was selected to receive a 7,000-pound section of the Berlin Wall, which was installed on the Aircraft Carrier U.S.S. Intrepid Museum. Using a hammer and chisel, Max carved a dove from within the stone and placed it on top of the wall to set it free.In 1991, Max's one-man retrospective show at the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersberg drew the largest turnout for any artist in Russian history. Over 14,500people attended!As a painter for four former U.S. Presidents(Carter, Ford, Bush and Reagan) in 1993, Max was approached by the inaugural committee to create posters for Bill Clinton' s inauguration. He was later invited to the White House to paint the signing of the Peace Accord.Peter Max also directed his creative energy to important global events and has produced posters for many such events, including Summit of the Americas, Gorbachev's State of the World Forum, and the United Nations Earth Summit, for which he had designed a series of twelve stamps that became the best-selling stamps in U.N. history. For the U.N.'s 50th anniversary, Max produced an installation of fifty paintings in different color combinations of the landmark United Nations Building.A lover of music, Max has been designated Official Artist for the Grammys, The25th Anniversary of the New Orleans Jazz Festival, and the Woodstock Music Festival.In the sports arena, Max has been the Official Artist for five Super Bowls, The World Cup USA, The U.S. Tennis Open and the NHL All-Star Game.Always an optimist, Max sees a fabulous new age for the new millennium, filled with enormous possibilities. He also sees a need for a greater responsibility to our planet, and he is ever ready to serve as the "Global Artist."
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello it is a serigraph on paper. it measures 30w by 22h . it shows minor signs of handling and aging but is in very good condition. The inscription says--"for Grover love and blessings always, Peter Max, Miami 1971" it os 1/100. Grover Cole was director of the Miami Art Center and was exhibiting Peter Max
Hello thank you this would have a current market value of 2800.00 in todays market. Insurance purposes the value would be 3500.00Thank you for sharing the piece and if I may help further please let me know.If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.