Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I purchased a large (4x6'), original painting by George Dombek

Customer Question

I purchased a large (4x6'), original painting by George Dombek ... I simply loved the image -- but apparently, he is quite an accomplished artist. How do I get an idea of the value of the piece?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.Please tell me the subject matter. Is the size 4x6' with or without including the frame. I need size not including the frame. Do not remove from frame. Tell me the medium - oils, watercolors - etc.? Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The canvas size is 4 ft. By 6 ft. The canvas is stretched over a heavy frame built of two-by-fours. There is no external frame, only tape around the sides of the stretched canvas. I would have thought the medium to be acrylic and/or gauche (sp?) because it looks rather opaque, but my understanding is that Donbek paints in watercolors with a lot of masking, and also airbrush techniques. The subject matter is a bicycle leaning against a wall, with shadow behind it. There is a very similar painting shown on his website, if you look up George Dombek "Streets of Florence." The artist tells me that the name of this piece is "Karen's Bike" (Karen is his ex-wife.). He would like to have it back, because he doesn't have any of his early works and wants to leave it to his newly adopted son... I will feel like a real jerk having to negotiate with him for his own work which he wants to bequeath to his son, but .... !!! Not sure what he will offer for it, but I wanted to be prepared with some idea of its value. Let me know if I can answer any more questions. Photos attached. Thank you!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is a photo of my mom, when we were trying to fit this painting into my minivan - to give you a feel for the size!
When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value. Using this standard method of appraisal, I was able to determine an auction value of $18,000-21,000 for your very large watercolor. A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
Hi there!I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?Let me know,Kind regards,Doris