Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a vase that my mother-in-law gave me. It was one that

Customer Question

I have a vase that my mother-in-law gave me. It was one that she said had been in her family...a very large german family that printed the German newspaper in Omaha (late 1890s to early 1900s?) I don't know that it is in the best shape as it has grapes dangling from the upper lip and one of them is broken. There are also delicate leaves, most are intact. I was just going to try to give away but then noticed that there are markings on the bottom. The markings are in a triangle shaped tile attached to the bottom. The markings are somewhat meaningful and look a bit like a b at a 45 degree angle, two oddly shaped "e"s a "7" with a line above it. It appears there may be a small swastika below the above. Lying outside the attached tile is a red "R". There appear to be additional markings above the attached tile. Any ideas? I can send you a picture of the bottom with markings if it would help.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.Please send me a photo of the vase and a photo of the marks on the bottom.. You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best. I also need the height of the vase.Doris
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't seem to find the picture of the markings I took on my PC, do you have an e-mail I could send to you from my iPhone?
This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.Send the picture to ***@******.*** the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals.".In the body of the message put, your user name and name..Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered withJust Answer, so they can verify who you are.This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answertechs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours..They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A picture of the markings is attached. The vase is at home and I would be able to take a picture later and send to you. But it is three dimensional, about 14-18" high. Grapes and leaves decorate the outside. Base is probably 6" and the top is probably 4".
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was owned by my husband's grandfather who owned the German paper in Omaha. They were very wealthy for the times... late 1800's to early 1900s?
I cannot see the marks clearly.Please sketch them and send me a photo of the sketch.Doris