AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a working Friedrich Mauthe grandfather clock in a Karl

Customer Question

I have a working Friedrich Mauthe grandfather clock in a Karl Heinrich case. From the makers mark, I'm guessing it was made around 1925 or after. I purchased it from an estate from a WWII war veteran who brought the clock here from Germany. I'm not sure of the species of wood.
Where can I sell something like this, and what is it worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.Can you upload a photo of the maker's mark?Jennifer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sure, here it is. Thanks!
Thank you!-Karl Heinrich, Jeweler--this was likely the retailer of the clock, rather than the maker. I can't find any record of the store or dealer, but you are right, the clock would date to the 1925-1935, based on both the trademark and the case style, with a curved top reminiscent of the Art Deco period.Unfortunately, the market for tall case clocks is not good at the moment, and this maker is known more for wall clocks than tall case.In good working condition, this Friedrich Mauthe standing longcase clock, circa 1925-1935, would have a resale value in the range of $600.00 - $900.00.Please let me know if I can help further.Sincerely,Jennifer
I see you have not yet rated/accepted my answer. How can I help you further?http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hlJennifer