Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Have an old Theodore haviland Limoge France China set. Have

Customer Question

Have an old Theodore haviland Limoge France China set. Have not been able to pinpoint pattern or Schleiger number. On the back of some pieces is the number 1977.
Any info or advice?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello

Haviland did not put pattern names on most of their china, and if Schleiger did not have this set in their books then it would not have their number.

What is it you are wanting to know about the set?

Glenda

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am trying to date the set. I know Theodore Haviland started his own business about 1893 so the date is after that. The set. Belonged to my great grandparents who married in the 1870s. What is the significance of the number 1977 which appears on some of the pieces? All marks, names and numbers are in red. Just any info I can't find myself online would be helpful.

The mark on the pieces is factory inventory numbers. Their system of tracking the pieces.

If you can send a picture maybe I can find a date by matching it to sets that might be in my china price guides.

Glenda

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK ... Can send pictures .... What email address?

Hello, my name is Glenda
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
.
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Glenda, just sent Pi tures

Thank you,

I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sent pictures to [email protected] answer
I'm 81 ... don't know how to use other methods!
Thanks!

Ok, thank you, ***** ***** let you know as soon as they forward them to me.

Glenda

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am informed that you have had the the picture I sent for about a week now. What do you have to report?

Hello

I checked my work email I use for Just Answer it was not there, I then checked another email where I am a customer like you with justanswer. They sent to that email, which I do not use. unless I ask a question myself on justanswer.

.

I will take a look to see what I can find about your set. The patter is not likely going to be found since it is not marked, and does not have any other name or number on it.

I will see if I can try to match it to any of the sets I have in my China Books and my Schleiger reference books. Even if the pattern name cannot be found the set can be valued, we have to do this all the time because there are thousands of sets with no names or numbers on them. We have access to data bases for just that sort of thing.

Glenda

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello

I received the images. Can you tell how many pieces are in your set?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why do you need to know that? I was asking for pattern info. In any case, I have service for 12 which includes 12 teacups w/saucers, 12 coffee cups w/saucers, 12 dinner plates, 12 luncheon plates, 12 salad plates, 12 bread and butter plates, 12 cereal/soup bowls, gravy boat w/attached saucer, 2 lidded casseroles, 2 oval and 1 round serving platters.
Glenda, if you can give me pattern info, terrific! If you can't, please tell me so we can finish this "dance".
Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just reread one of your previous emails where you said the platter is not marked, etc. All pieces are marked. All have incised "TM" and the words Theodore Haviland Limoges, France in red. Some have the number 1977 on them.

Hello

I did not send any email about a platter. And no this set does not have a pattern name. So if you wish to contact customer service to cancel this question you can do so by :

Just to let you know the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site we do not work for them. We come to the site to answer questions that customers post to the site. We have nothing to do with the customers accounts or business dealings with Just Answer. We are not privy to any information regarding the customers account. We are just a user of the site like the customer is. We have been verified to come to the site to answer questions, that is all we do.

If you have a problem with the account you will need to contact customer service at the Just Answer site you can do so by clicking " Contact Us" at the bottom of the page. Or call them at 1(###) ###-####/p>

Glenda