rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Was there a two year period where marks on Russian silver were

Customer Question

was there a two year period where marks on Russian silver were unidentifiable although they were Saint Petersberg silversmiths
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 10 months ago.
All Russian silver is assayed (some marks are hard to read, that is true) if it contains any silver.It would be easier for me to answer if you could add a photo of the item you have and the marks you are asking about.You can use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am quite aware of what you conveyed to me. This is not what I was referring to .. A good example would be where one would normally see the mark "84" but during a 2 year period the government allowed pieces to be produced where it said "8" or "8 and a partial 4- basically there were flaws in the stamping- this was also true for assayer mark as well as city mark- after a two year period of allowing substandard pieces to be produced the government put a halt to it- some of the silversmiths were from Moscow and Saint Petersberg- I need the time framae of the two years they allowed substandard goods being produced
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
fulfillment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------30 April 2016 03:05I am quite aware of what you conveyed to me. This is not what I was referring to .. A good example would be where one would normally see the mark "84" but during a 2 year period the government allowed pieces to be produced where it said "8" or "8 and a partial 4- basically there were flaws in the stamping- this was also true for assayer mark as well as city mark- after a two year period of allowing substandard pieces to be produced the government put a halt to it- some of the silversmiths were from Moscow and Saint Petersberg- I need the time framae of the two years they allowed substandard goods being produced
I think you are referring to the trial period of the Kokoshnik mark (the 84 stamp) when sub standard goods were being produced and stamped/partially stamped by both Moscow and St. Petersburg makers.This would have been between 1896 and 1898 when the final version was being tested and standardized for all silver.Do click the stars after you have read this answer.
Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?Please let me know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I saw your answer ur dates are incorrect
You are not giving me enough information. If I had a photo of the marks that you HAVE, then I could be of more help.I am not incorrect on trial period of the Kokoshnik marks, I have been buying and selling Russian silver for over 10 years.