Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a very old art piece, 11 X 14, on a hand-made, wooden

Customer Question

I have a very old art piece, 11 X 14, on a hand-made, wooden frame, that I obtained many years ago at an estate sale of an older gentleman upon his death. It hung by itself over his bed. The only identification I can make out is "Mrs. i.u.c.". There is the remnant of a wax seal on the back. I have tried to research the item. From my latin education, and remembrances from the Catholic church, I believe the "i.u.c" in lower case lettering refers to Mrs. iesu uxoris christe. or the wife of Jesus Christ. As this belief is held my many in previous centuries throughout Europe, this painting may have been held as a sign of that belief. The wax seal offers a provenance/prominence to the piece. Years ago, when I was using a flash from the back of the painting, there appeared to be writing under the paint, angular, going from lower left to upper middle. It also appears that the bottom edge is original to the painting, but the other edges are perhaps cut from a larger painting. There are several letter, symbols, and unexplained visuals on the painting. I can provide pictures of the painting from several angles, as well as the back, frame, and wax seal I referred to. I would appreciate any help you can provide.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature, id mark mentioned. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The painting is 11 X 14. Photos are attached.
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I have not found a match to this signature for you. I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response. I will not be able to respond back after opting-out I do hope you find the information that you seek. ~Nora