Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a mappin brothers silver plate vessel bolted to a base.

Customer Question

i have a mappin brothers silver plate vessel bolted to a base. it is shaped like a nautilus and has a hinged lid, about six inches high and six inches across. can you tell ne what it is?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the mark If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for your patience. Shell form objects were first popular in the 1500's and the technical term for them was a "nef". Yours being made by Mappin Brothers in silver plate dates to the late 19th century Victorian era, circa 1880's and was used as a decorative spoon warmer. On today's market, your antique nautilus shell form Victorian spoon warmer can sell for $150 - $300. Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance? Please let me know. Sincerely, Nora