Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

We have a very old blanket chest that probably came from either

Customer Question

We have a very old blanket chest that probably came from either North Carolina or Virginia, although we're just guessing. It originally belonged to my husband's mother, born 1903 in Chapel Hill NC. She lived in or around this area for all of her life except for a brief time in mid-1920s when she lived in Richmond VA. My husband, now age 70, says this blanket chest was in his childhood home for as long as he can remember. She gave it to us in 1979 when we were married. It measures 24" high and 55 1/2" long. It has a triangular lock latch on the front and 2 long triangular hinges connecting the lid to the chest. The inside lock latch is in the shape of an arrow and protrudes about 1 1/2" from the lid when the lid is open and you're looking down at it. The panels of the chest are dovetailed. There is also a small storage drawer on the right side of the chest to store small items. His mom always called it a blanket chest. Not sure of the wood but my husband thinks it is walnut. The feet are swirly curvy carved. We would appreciate whatever you can tell us about it. Thanks!
Condition: Good
Medium: body is wood and hinges are metal (with think iron)
Size and dimensions of this item: 24" high x 55 1/2" long
Weight: LOTS!
History: This blanket chest belonged to my mother-in-law, born in 1903 in Chapel Hill NC. She lived there all her life except for a brief time in the mid-'20s just after she was married when they lived in Richmond VA. My husband (born in 1946) says this chest was always in their home. She gave it to us in 1979 when we were married. My mother-in-law loved antiques although she did not have a lot of money, so whereever this blanket chest came from, she got it at a totally reasonable price because she didn't have a lot of money and loved to "haggle".
For Sale?:
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value! .Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,.If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !.Click the link: for instructions on uploading images . . Or you may use this method:.Go to on Computer.Select the picture file from the box that pops up..Hit open..Click on Start Upload.And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this and paste it here..Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me. .Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques"..In the body of the message put , your user name and name..Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with. . Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me..Glenda