Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers
57035021

What is the value of an antique lightning rod with weathervane.

Customer Question

What is the value of an antique lightning rod with weathervane. It is a Cole Bros. Pat. December 12, 1893 with 10" spear on top. From roof to top of spear 56" Pink glass ball right under 21" weather vane Thank you for your help
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Please upload clear pictures of your weather vane.

Also, you mention that the condition is fair. What are its flaws?

Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 6 months ago.

I've received your drawings, but they are not usable. They are all sideways and much too large to be viewed. Photographs would be much more useful. I appreciate that you went to so much trouble to do these for me, but I really can't see them.

Please see our help page for help uploading images.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Or:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

If that doesn't work for you:

You can email the pictures to***@******.***, and ask them to forward the pictures to me. You must tell them the pictures are for the Antiques category, and give them your user name and mine, which is Judith-on-Antiques. It is important for you to send the email from the address with which you registered at Just Answer. If you are sending them from a phone, you must put the original email address in the text.

Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the excellent pictures.

That is an impressive lightning rod/weather vane.

The Cole Brothers Pump & Lightning Rod Co was a family company, founded in Mount Pleasant, Iowa in 1849. Their products were sold door to door . The company is especially well known for its swirl lightning rod balls.

IF your lightning rod/weathervane is in fair condition, its current retail(replacement or insurance) value is approximately $300.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.