rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have 2 William Verdult pieces. 1 is from his King & Queen's

Customer Question

I have 2 William Verdult pieces. 1 is from his King & Queen's of Europe collection. How can I find out what the value is today? I see on Ebay & 1stDibs, the value of his art appears to have increased.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help.The next step would be for me to see pictures of the art, signatures and any labels or other writing.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures (one at a time) and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both pictures attached.The piece is in excellent condition.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
William Verdult, born 1939, was a Dutch artist that was active inCalifornia and New York. He was known for His Treasures of King Tutcollection, Kings and Queens of Europe collection that were said toconsist of diamonds, gold, and other precious stones.You are correct that his work has increased and is selling for high prices.The photo that you added was of Elizabeth I and the signature.This piece has a value of $20,000 to $30,000.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your response. Couple of questions. Can you share with me what your valuation is based upon? I've seen another piece, in the same collection, on Ebay with an asking price of $75,000. I saw another that was on there a few weeks ago, same collection - different piece, with an asking price of $59,000.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I pay no attention to what people are asking on Ebay or 1st Dibs.That is not the real world as far as value goes. For example, I couldask 40,000 for the Seth Thomas clock on my wall, but that does not mean it is worth 40,000.The value is what the items SELLfor and I have access to three paid databases of sold work, that is where you find the value, especially in art.I found pieces in this series that sold in this range. The only anomaly was one piece from the TUT series that was estimated to bring 20,000 and it only brought $7,000. I did not understand that difference, nor can I explain it as it should have brought more.I do hope that explained it well without being too negative or preachy. 1st Dibs and Ebay has made the appraiser's life quite difficult!Do click the stars to accept this answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks. Appreciate the clarification. If the "Tut" piece is thrown out of the equation would the value be closer to $30,000? I'm asking since it's a different collection. Is the estimated value you've suggested about what the replacement value would be if I was to insure it?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
The value would be $20,000 and the insurance/replacement value would be $50,000.There is always more added for insurance purposes to consider the loss of propertyplus emotional loss of an item that is actually not replaceable.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Do click the stars to accept my answer. thank so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned $20,000 to $30,000 that included the piece that sold for $7,000. By taking out that piece, the value drops to $20,000? I'm confused. Please advise.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Forget about the TUT.The piece you have is worth a range of $20,000 to $30,000 in value, likely closer to the $20,000 number in reality when basing an insurance/replacement value multiplier on it to get to the $50,000 for insurance. You always use the smaller number of the range for the insurance basis (sorry that wasn't clear) You can up the insurance to $60,000 to $75,000 on it, but I think that would be too much for this piece.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?Please let me know.