rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My daughter was told by a Delmar New York dealer that my 70

Customer Question

My daughter was told by a Delmar New York dealer that my 70 year old sterling silver 12 place setting...which is Sir Christopher, was not sterling.
It was purchased a few pieces at a time from the most
Trusted and oldest dealer in Duluth,Minnesota. The forks have sterling silver imprinted on the back of them. They tarnish. Are heavy and exactly like the Rosepoint and other patterns that my family has. Coming from Wallace.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.Please send me photos -At least one of the set of pieces one person has (one place setting)At least one of a close up of the patternTwo of the marks on the back - the one that says sterling and the one that does not say sterling.From these photos I will research to see if the pattern came in both sterling and plated silver.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My daughter has my silver for now. She is a busy Doctor. So pictures will not be easy. At this time. Is there
Some reason you can not do this with following information?
The pattern is Sir Christopher
The maker is Wallace
The inprint is verydeep on back of fork and says "sterling" kind return regards Kathleen
I will try.I should be back within one hour to give me time to research.Sets come in many different sizes.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is the routine sterling Wallace "place setting"_ Same as Grand Bouoque, Rosepoint. Going back 70 years or more.
Dinner Knife, dinner fork, saled fork, table spoon, teaspoon, butter knife .All the special pieces cake server, pie server, ladles
Little coffee spoons, big serving spoons . really all the pieces in a traditional set.
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.
The Sir Christopher pattern (see photo) was first introduced in 1936 by Wallace Silver.This pattern is sterling silver if it is Sir Christopher. Wallace did not make a silverplateversion of this pattern, while they did make a sterling and plated version of some other patterns.The basic rule is that if the mark reads STERLING on a piece, then there is no debate.If a piece has NO mark, then it is going to be plated ware and those would be the pieces that are possibly a different pattern or maker than what you had thought.A service for 12 in this pattern has a current value of $3250 to $3500.00.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?Please let me know.