Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

GERMAN SABER: I am looking information on a saber

Customer Question

GERMAN SABER: I am looking for general information on a saber I received from the estate of a 94 year old gentleman. Overall length is 31 inches. It has a brass hilt, lion-headed pommel (jawless, P guard from beneath snout), wooden grip with shark skin wrapping and triple wiring, (center wire wider). The quillon looks like a lion tail. The knuckle guard has raised designs of a shield over three swords, leaves, an iron cross?, and a 4-petaled rosette. The obverse lancet has crossed cannons and laurel? leaves; the reverse lancet has a blank shield. The blade is etched on both sides (background gray matte color) about half way to the tip with various military symbols: swords, flags, armor, drums, etc. The spine is etched with a floral/vine pattern and the words: NOE & SCHULZE POTSDAM. Would anyone know if this was the maker of the saber, or possibly a retailer who sold military swords? I can find no maker’s marks on the blade. The scabbard is painted black enamel and has one suspension loop. I am not interested in valuation or selling, just general timeline information. The saber has value to me only as a remembrance of a dear departed friend. (I have gleaned the sword terminology used above from reading various websites, so apologies if there are some errors.)
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.I did get the close-up of the Noe & Schulze. Can you post (or re-post) some overall photos of the saber?Sincerely,Jennifer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Jennifer,
Thank you for your reply. I am sending you 6 additional photos: 2 of the hilt, both sides; two of the knuckle guard, upper and lower curves; one detail of the blade etching; and one overall saber and scabbard.
Please note: the pictures of the hilt look as if the metal was plated nickel. This is NOT the case; it is just an artifact of the lighting. The hilt is solid brass.
Thank you for your efforts on my request.
Sincerely,
Ursula
Thank you.There are many symbols on this piece. However, I am unable to match all of them.I am going to opt out. The question will be visible to all other appraisers to pick up. You don't have to do anything, and won't be charged again.Sincerely,Jennifer