AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have sword the is marked L Harmon and Bros. It also has Columbus

Customer Question

I have sword the is marked L Harmon and Bros. It also has Columbus Georgia stamped by the handle. Half way down the blade it show the letter CS with crossed swords on each side. I also have the sabor
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ObjectsConservator1 replied 7 months ago.
I'll be happy to answer your materials identification and conservation/preservation questions.The name is ***** ***** "L. Haiman" rather than "Harmon". Haiman was one of two major sword manufacturers for the CSA in the South and was based in Columbus, GA. The other was Froelich in N. Carolina. Marked Haiman swords are rare.Could you please attach well lit, well focused photos of both sides of the sword, the hilt and and inscription area, and the scabbard to your next response. Use the paper clip icon. If you have trouble, you can send the images in an email to***@******.*** and write "For ObjectsConservator1/Antiques" in the subject line. I will receive those within 48 hours of being sent. Once I can see images, I can do further research for you and construct and answer.Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here are some picture .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hope these help some
I'm going to opt out and leave this open for someone else. I appreciate the photos, and they are helpful. From what I know and can find in research, this appears to be a fake, possibly using an old sword, or parts of old swords. There was no "L. Harmon & Bro" sword maker in Columbus, GA that shows up in lists of Confederate manufacturers, and the stampings and engraving looks suspect to me.You will not be charged again is someone else takes this question and hopefully you can get a definitive answer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.This sword certainly does have some very suspicious qualities. Did you recently purchase it on eBay by any chance, listing 252351991789?Jennifer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You are correct. I did buy it off of eBay and that was the item number. I take it is a fake?
This appears to be an Indian or Pakistani reproduction of a Haiman Brothers sword.http://www.americancivilwarforum.com/cs-sword-replicas-696.htmlWhen I saw the eBay listing, it does indicate that the seller also believes it to be a reproduction.These are very common, and the change of spelling from Haimon to Harmon is deliberate, to indicate it's a reproduction rather than a forgery.Sorry for any disappointment.Sincerely,Jennifer