rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have a limited numbered nude print edition of Michelle, by

Customer Question

I have a limited numbered nude print edition of Michelle, by Joseph Petro. How do I find it's value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.This photo is too far away for me to see the signature.Please use the Add Files feature to add a picture of any writingon the piece and any labels or writing on the back.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried sending you all of the pictures, when I click on add files, it would only send one at a time.
Yes, that is how that feature works. Just add one, put PIC 1 in the text box, send and then do that again for the next. It does not batch upload.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Picture 1
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Picture 2
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Picture 3- bottom left. #2 is bottom right.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Picture 4 is upper right
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Picture 5 is actually upper right & #4 is upper left..Sorry..
picture 3 did not get added (signature of artist)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is #3..
This is a 1980's print by Joseph (Victor) Petro (1932-2011). The print was self-published by Petro as he named his publishing company after his own middle name Victor Prints. A limited edition should have the number of prints made in addition to the number of the print and this is where he erred. The number should read 236/500 for example.This is a print of Michelle, retail value of $100.00. I did find one of the earlier numbered pieces of this work at an auction and it did not bring much. is the biography of the artist from AskArt.comJoseph Victor Petro, Jr. (1932-2011)Joseph Victor Petro, Jr., was born in Lexington, KY, on November 4, 1932, and studied fine art under Victor Hammer (1882-1967) at Transylvania University, Lexington, KY. In 1954, Transylvania University selected him to present Dwight D. Eisenhower a pencil drawing of the legendary thoroughbred horse Man o' War to commemorate the President's visit to the Bluegrass. Petro did graduate studies in art applied to medicine at the University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, and was the first full-time art teacher at The Lexington School, Lexington, KY. He later moved to Rome, Italy, where he became the head of the Department of Applied Art in the Rome Center of Loyola University Chicago and also served as visiting professor of art at John Cabot International College. During his years in Rome, he was the art editor of the Italian language magazine Americana, published by the U.S. Information Agency, and cultural adviser for the American Embassy. While abroad, he traveled extensively throughout Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. When he returned to the U.S. in 1977, he was named artist-in-residence at Transylvania University. Petro's artwork ranged from highly scientific illustrations to acclaimed oil portraits of many of Kentucky's notable and prominent residents, including several judges in the Fayette County Circuit Court and Kentucky Supreme Court and over thirty college presidents. He completed several commissions, including a panoramic mural depicting the history of medicine in America, completed in 1983 for the lobby of Hardin Memorial Hospital, Elizabethtown, KY, and, in 1992, the postage stamp "My Old Kentucky Home" for the U.S. Postal Service to commemorate 200 years of Kentucky statehood. Equally known for his equine paintings, Petro's works are in the Keeneland Collection and the Oaklawn Triple Crown Collection, and he served as art editor of the Thoroughbred Record Magazine. His illustrations were featured in Family Weekly Magazine, the Brown and Bigelow calendars, and corporate publications for Brown-Forman Distillers and Westinghouse, and his scientific and medical illustrations appeared in major medical journals and textbooks. His work was reproduced in national publications, such as Holiday, National Geographic, Better Homes & Gardens, and U.S. News & World Report.His paintings are found in numerous public and private collections throughout the U.S. and Europe, including a bronze sculpture in the Hermitage Museum, Leningrad, Russia, and works in the personal collections of four U.S. presidents and thirty-seven governors. He had solo exhibitions in several university museums, including the University of Kentucky Art Museum in 1986, and in art galleries of many American cities. A traveling show of his work sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C., was exhibited in embassies throughout Central and South America. He was a member of the Society of Illustrators, the National Society of Arts and Letter, and the Artists' Equity Association. Petro died in Lexington, KY, on June 7, 2011.Additional book references:Joseph Petro, An Exhibition. Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky Art Museum, 1986.Source: Rachael Sadinsky, Independent Curator (and former curator of collections, University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington, KY). It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Picture 6 is back of print as framed..
Thank you. I answer above before you sent that last one.
Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?Please let me know.If you'd like to have me assess anything else, start a new question and put 'for rarewares' so that you could get me again.Please click the stars to accept my answer for this question.