Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have an old vase I'd like appraised .Its a Pansy England

Customer Question

I have an old vase I'd like appraised .Its a Pansy England with 5A on the bottom of it . It's blue with big roses on the front & small ones on the back of it . It's about 10 inches high. I hope you can help me .thankyou
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the mark If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have some photos of the vase .
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I have not found a match to this for you. I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response. I will not be able to respond back after opting-out I do hope you find the information that you seek. ~Nora
Expert:  Robert S. replied 5 months ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your vase. Thanks for all the helpful photos.This pretty jardinière or planter with a frieze of embossed pansy flowers and color printed bouquets of roses, was made in the Staffordshire Potteries, England, in the early 1900s and is one of many similar produced at that time who's maker is unrecorded and simply identified with "England" impressed into the base. Typically, the word "England" was used in the period 1891 - 1920s and then "Made in England" thereafter, which is a useful way of confirming the date.These attractive floral color prints were known as decalcomania, (or 'decals' for short). They were applied to the biscuit fired clay and 'heightened' by hand painting to give more saturation to the rose petal color and other details. The lavender blue color, top and bottom, was applied with an air brush to give that soft graduated blush that became so fashionable in the first decade of the 1900s. And yes! they had air-brushes back then, operated by mouth, by blowing through a rubber tube. Then the whole vase was dipped in lead glaze and fired in the kiln. It was then fired a second time in a muffle kiln to seal the gold enamel painting.Sadly all this workmanship, time and skill that went into making this art pottery is not as appreciated by collectors today nearly as much as it should be and values are not that great, I'm afraid.This example of your vase, for instance, sold on line recently for AUS$14.00 (but it had damage). I would say yours would sell in the range of AUS$50 - AUS$80. It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store) of AUS$150. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.I do hope this helps!Please let me know if you like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.Best wishes,Robert.