Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

How do I find out the maker of the furniture I have

Customer Question

how do I find out the maker of the furniture I have
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 5 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.Please examine all pieces carefully for marks, stamps, or labels. Best places to look are on the backs, the bottoms, and inside the doors and drawers. Let me know if you find anything, even just a random string of numbers or a symbol.Jennifer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
nothing found
Thanks.This looks to be from the 2nd quarter of the 20th century. Without a maker's mark, there is really no way to determine the maker. There were hundreds if not thousands of small furniture makers and factories in that period in the US, plus it was the beginning of much import from abroad.This isn't a distinctive style that we could attribute to one of the major makers, and typically most of those would be labeled anyway.I can value it based on like kind and quality, but for that I'd need photos of all the pieces.Sincerely,Jennifer