Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

What can you tell me about a Mappin and Webb Princess Plate

Customer Question

What can you tell me about a Mappin and Webb Princess Plate that has a Swastika stamped on the bottom of it along side the word Deposit? I am watching a sale only me for this piece and would like to know how much to pay or limit.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. Can you send a photo of the piece? How tall is it? Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
These are the photos that I have of it. Please ready original question
Is it an open rectangular piece?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The piece was made by Mappin & Webb of London and Sheffield, UK, ca 1900. The firm's advertising trademark at the time for their plated silver was Mappin & Webb, Princes Plate, Triple Deposit with a symbol that often looked like the swastika used by the Nazi's 30 years later - long after your dish was made.There is really nothing that would make this piece unique or even unusual.In its current condition, it is not worth more than $20. I wish I had better news for you. It does seem very odd to see a Nazi-like symbol on a piece of English silver but the piece was made long before the Nazi party was formed. A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok Hank uou
You are welcome.Please do not forget my need for a positive rating.Kind regards,Doris
Hi there!I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?Let me know,Kind regards,Doris