rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a painting signed by WA Carson in an Oval frame, that

Customer Question

I have a painting signed by WA Carson in an Oval frame, that I am not able to find in any of his listings of his work. Trying to find out what it is worth. It has $4.90 on the back of it, patent pending stamped on it as well by Chicago Portrait Company.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: The frame is gold and then trimmed wth green marble and the picture is a stream with trees and mountains in the background and just beautiful. It was my dads mothers handed down.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Please add a photo close up of the signature, one of the painting straight-on and one of the back if there is any writing or labels there. You can use the AddFiles feature on your screen to add pictures.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok these are all that I have I hope they help you. Can you help me with what it is worth and where I can sell it.
This is a hand colored lithographic print of a painting by William A Carson (1867-1949), a California(lived in Iowa and Illinois as well) artist that was known for landscape and coastal painting.His work was oil on canvas, and this piece is paper under glass and the color has faded, so this is how I can tell it is a print of his work. If this were an original painting, the value would be $200 to $300 based on recent sales of his smaller landscapes (see photo).This print is in a circa 1924 lithograph sold by the Chicago Portrait Company in a bubble frame. They marketed several pieces by Carson (see photos).This print in this frame has a value of $60 to $75.00.It would do well on Ebay where one sold for $75.00 recently.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?Please let me know.If we are done here, please do take a moment to click the stars for me. This is how the site knows to credit me for my time with you.